Go Back   Salish Sea MINI Motoring Club > Shop Talk > Mods and Upgrades

Mods and Upgrades The place to discuss any type of modifications to you MINI including Interior, exterior, tires, wheels or performance related information.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:06 AM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
Tire / Wheel Shop Recommendations ???

MINI NW says they are booked clear out to the 18th for service work, at least to swap out new wheels for me. Anyone recommend a shop in the Tacoma area? I even called BMW NW and they said no MINI work.

Les Schwab sounded pretty fuzzy on the TPMs system.......

Old 08-06-2010, 10:10 AM
SSMINI Forum Member

Had mine done at Les Schwab many times, and they never had any problems with my TPM's system on my MINI, BMW, and Honda Pilot.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
+1 for Les Schwab. I have had good luck with the ones in downtown Puyallup and in Spanaway.

2012 Boss 302
2012 Shelby GT500
Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 AM
SSMINI Member | Treasurer

Garage
Les Schwab has always been goo to me. My last tire change was Discount Tire, and they were good, too.

2005 DS/B MCS Phydeaux <--> WA Plate - "2AAREQD" (gone)
2012 RG/B MCs Countryman All4 <--> WA Plate - "RLRCSTR" (gone)
2015 DB/B F56s <--> WA Plate "RLRCSTR"
Old 08-06-2010, 10:38 AM
SSMINI Founder

+3 for Les, I use the one in Lacey and never a problem. Just ensure they torque down properly and all is good. No use in paying dealer cost for tire work.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
Thanks for quick responses!

NW MINI cost wise was same or even less - go figure. Called another very large like 8 bay Les Schwab in north Auburn I had used once before, they sounded much more confident.

The one I usually go to in south Auburn always needs prodding to reset the TPMs on my GMC truck at all for the winter wheels/tires set - they seem to think the truck will magically know the different wheels, in different positions, with different sensors are there. (GM trucks even tell you what position and PSI for each wheel and warns when 15psi difference from OEM settings are detected. A bit more than the MINI system that appears to monitor complete flats only. It's great to be able to scroll thru the display to check PSI before or during a trip.). And I go there twice a year to change out to my winter Bridgestone Blizzaks (travel to Pullman in the winter). Those Blizzaks and 4wd have gotten us thru some harry winter trips.

I wonder how long it will take to get real service at NW MINI if something breaks on the new MINI.... Hope they have loaners.....

Called Seattle MINI (same owners) and they said the 10th was the earliest for tire work.

Last edited by MCS Fever; 08-06-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 AM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
I've had good luck getting in to NW MINI for service recently. I wonder if your service appt would have been sooner if it was for an inspection instead of just a tire swap. Pullman in the winter? Are you a fellow Coug or just nuts?

2012 Boss 302
2012 Shelby GT500
Old 08-06-2010, 11:20 AM
SSMINI Member

Garage
NW MINI had free inspections a few weeks ago and I am sure generated a lot of service work from that event. Add me to the list for Les Schwab. I buy my tires from Tire Rack and have Les Schwab throw them on for me.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 AM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin View Post
.......... Pullman in the winter? Are you a fellow Coug or just nuts?

Have a college student there. Winter breaks and weather sometimes collide.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:29 AM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
We went back and forth in a '76 Chevy Caprice Classic - a BIG, HEAVY car that my parents figured would be safe if we slid into something or if something slid into us. Would have been WAY more fun in a MINI, but the new ones were still about 20 years from being invented and the old ones weren't reliable enough.

2012 Boss 302
2012 Shelby GT500
Old 08-06-2010, 12:00 PM
SSMINI Founder

My remark about the tire cost comes from the fact that I purchased my Toyos from Les and because of that they switch off my winter and summer wheels free. I like free. I run TR1s in the summer and 4s the rest of the year. I run 4s on my wifes year around. I do like Les, especially when I can drive up and get my air checked and never have to leave the drivers seat. They still know what service is at the Lacey Les.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:50 AM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulmini View Post
My remark about the tire cost comes from the fact that I purchased my Toyos from Les and because of that they switch off my winter and summer wheels free. I like free. I run TR1s in the summer and 4s the rest of the year. I run 4s on my wifes year around. I do like Les, especially when I can drive up and get my air checked and never have to leave the drivers seat. They still know what service is at the Lacey Les.
Yep - Really nice to have my summer Toyo H/T 18's on the 8-lug truck switched out for free. Well hit the north Auburn location last night, they came "running to greet me" before I could even park. 10 bays! No appt needed, Free wi-fi, free shuttle etc. An hour later was on the road, ran her up to 80 and she feels smooth as ever. Turns out all they had to do was switch the valve stems/TPM sensors over, nothing to reset.

First time I had the wife's MINI to myself. Discovered you can leave the auto tranny in slap stick mode and it still shifts up and down on it's own. But shift points are 500rpm+ higher like sport mode without the steering changes. I would always forget I shifted down on a hill in the PT Cruiser, then starting out at the next light it was stuck in 1st gear. I like the way the MINI works much better.

Also discovered the boot latch is all electric when replacing the painted boot grab bar for chrome last night. No mechanical linkage like you might expect connected to the push button at all. You still have to push kinda hard, but any harder pushing is not needed being it's just an electric switch.

Last edited by MCS Fever; 08-07-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 AM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
Spent 8 hours in the saddle yesterday on a 300 mile trip over Chinook Pass. Almost made the 1,200 miles "break-in" point, 150 miles to go.

Darn if the left front wheel didn't come loose not even halfway into the trip, started feeling something like a wheel bearing thumb, thump, thump only in tight left turns. Pulled over in the 96 degree heat and check the lugs. Sure enough, very loose. Glad MINI has a lug wrench in the car, even with no spare.

Got in late have to remove and check it tonight for lugs and wheel damage. Hopefully none. Will switch that wheel to the rear regardless. And check torque every few days for awhile! The new wheels had stickers on the back of them right on the lug mounting area. Thinking Les Schwab did not clean off the sticker material fully, or poor torque job, or skipped that wheel torque all together!

Post #11 here makes me wonder if they torqued them to 88 ft lbs in error.....

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ut-torque.html

Also they never said to come back in 50 miles to re-torque them...

Last edited by MCS Fever; 08-16-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

I use 91 ft lbs cold. A bunch of us came to that conclusion after 4 mini's played around with torque settings on a variety of wheels over a two day track session at Spokane. Anything less than 90 ended up with bolts/lug nuts coming loose. I've used 91 ft lbs for the last 4 years, no problem.

Watch out for grease/anti-seize as well. Though I have been known to use a small amount of anti-seize to combat "rust-together issues", I wipe it off pretty well before installing. Don't let anything get on the mating surfaces of the lug bolt/nut and wheel. No problems in over 30 years of track days and racing.

Pat

Last edited by onramp; 08-16-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-16-2010, 06:33 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
Thanks - Took it off tonight and cleaned off the sticker residue I was expecting to find - on all 4 wheels and drums actually. All four wheels torqued more like 50 ft lbs even after I hand tightened them on the pass. Torqued them to 103 ft lbs, reset the trip odometer and will torque again in 50 miles.

So then I went out to my 2008 GMC diesel 2500 summer wheels that Les Schwab put on in the Spring and check them to the 140 ft lbs required - a few just a little loose - but 1 lug-nut missing and stud cross-threaded!

Les Schwab is the only place to handle my wheels, so they cross-threaded the stud. Also almost lost a center cab that was hanging by 1 allen bolt earlier this Summer. Won't trust them with the center caps ever again.... or the torque - and stick to the re-torque at 50 miles. Went there yesterday and got the missing lug-nut put on, I could see it stuck out further than the others and pointed that out. "The stud must be cross-threaded, but it is torqued to spec, have a good day". Got home, removed lug-nut, applied anti-sieze and tried again - stripped the lug-nut before it ever seated. Now to see if they will replace that stud free of charge or not. .

Found a good little wheel torque tech page here:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=107

Last edited by MCS Fever; 08-18-2010 at 05:53 AM.