Go Back   Salish Sea MINI Motoring Club > Shop Talk > Maintenance and Repair

Maintenance and Repair A place to discuss issues with maintenance and repairs for your Mini or MINI, or problems you might be experiencing.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:20 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

power steering fan/customer service NW mini

A friends mom may be putting a 2006 mini cooper up for sale shortly, mainly for this reason

"I just had the worst customer service from Northwest Mini. It was so bad my mom's 2006 Mini Cooper will be up for sale shortly. Only 26,000 miles. In mint condition. Northwest Mini you suck. EFF you! No amount of breathing could save me from your lack of customer service"

A description of her problem:

Electrical issue. A power steering fan wouldn't shut off and it drained the battery. Wiring issue. I unhooked the battery and had it taken there. Service guy never called back. I finally got a hold of him and he told me the battery was completely dead. So they disregarded what we told them. Left the battery hooked and the fan running, then tried to tell me it was my fault and charge me $235 for a battery that's brand new. Turns out my mom paid $200 for it to be replaced in Oct. Now I'm not good at math but when does inflation kick a price to go up $35 in 5 months?

I guess my question is has anyone else run into this issue on an 06, and she has been dealing mainly with the same rep for the last few years and he has taken to yelling at her on the phone. She can be a bit of a hot head herself, but does anyone know who else she should talk to about this issue at mini?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-04-2014, 05:24 AM
SSMINI Member

Garage
I hope you can get this resolved. Who did you work with at NW MINI?
Old 01-04-2014, 06:57 PM
SSMINI Member | Treasurer

Garage
It sounds like the whole car, and not just the battery,need to be taken in for diagnosis. Unless I'm misreading, "I unhooked the battery and had it taken there." I'm surprised to hear that one of the service guys is acting that way, all my dealings with everyone down there hasn't had me thinking anyone of them could blow up like that. As was asked, I'd be interested in knowing who, though I would also understand if you don't want to publicly say. I would also think that if a battery was bought in Oct, and three months later it's useless, that should be an indication that the whole system needs to be checked.

2005 DS/B MCS Phydeaux <--> WA Plate - "2AAREQD" (gone)
2012 RG/B MCs Countryman All4 <--> WA Plate - "RLRCSTR" (gone)
2015 DB/B F56s <--> WA Plate "RLRCSTR"
Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 PM
SSMINI Member

Garage
I've had my fan stay on like that before on my 06 Cooper but just turned the car on and off again to get the fan to turn off.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:58 PM
SSMINI Member | Officer-at-Large

Garage
I also have a 2006, I haven't had the power steering fan issue, but I've dealt with enough false fixes and crazy prices to never go back. I now take Pinky to a mechanic outside of the dealership.
Not sure where your mom lives, but Foreign Autoworks in Olympia are great!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:51 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
I would also believe that if the battery was new in October that it would still be under some kind of warranty. I myself have not had any issues with the service department, but then again my MINI is only two years old and still under warranty.

I have had one electrical problem with a drained battery and when they checked everything out, they told me that I did not drive the car enough to fully charge the battery. That with all of the computers and electrical systems that just starting the car takes at least 15 - 20 miles of driving to bring the battery back up to full charge. I now have a battery manager that I hook up at least once a month to keep the battery fully charged.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 AM
SSMINI Member

Garage
I have encountered something similar with our MINI's, we do not drive them enough. So, we make an effort to put miles on them once a week with a minimum of 20 miles each way on a trip.

Now if MINI was really thinking they would put a master battery disconnect that shut off all nannies and left the car only accessible with just a hard key to allow you entry into the vehicle and the battery disconnect.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 AM
SSMINI Member

Yep, I bought the Griot's Battery Manager IV.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

Works GREAT!
I use it on several types of batteries around the house including my AGM packs I use for emergency communications.

Yes, I SHOULD drive my mini more, but with a company provided vehicle the BAYSWATER is a "fair weather" ride.

Neil