Go Back   Salish Sea MINI Motoring Club > Shop Talk > Maintenance and Repair

Maintenance and Repair A place to discuss issues with maintenance and repairs for your Mini or MINI, or problems you might be experiencing.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:21 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Ready to buy first Mini, Advice?

Hi, I'm pretty excited about starting to looking for a used Mini Cooper. However I am also a little worried due to some research I have done regarding the transmissions. Any Mini specific advice on what to look for in a used Mini Cooper? Here is what I am starting to look for based on what I currently know:

2004-2006 Cooper or Cooper S models as these fit in my budget and from what I understand many of the early quality control issues were taken care of by the 2004 model year.

Manual transmission as the CVT sounds like something to stay far away from

Wanting to stay under 100k miles, or if over 100k look for something that has already had transmission and clutch replaced or rebuilt.

Anything else?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:37 PM
SSMINI Member | Officer-at-Large

Garage
If you are looking for a used one; I'd stick with the R53, which is the Cooper S. I have a 2006 with 66k, 6 speed manual transmission. She's a fun car, I still grin from ear to ear when she's running well. Recently she has needed a lot of work. Mainly normal wear and tear type stuff. Nothing a YouTube video, or the Bentley manual couldn't assist with a fix.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:01 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
If you are looking for a used one; I'd stick with the R53, which is the Cooper S. I have a 2006 with 66k, 6 speed manual transmission. She's a fun car, I still grin from ear to ear when she's running well. Recently she has needed a lot of work. Mainly normal wear and tear type stuff. Nothing a YouTube video, or the Bentley manual couldn't assist with a fix.
Yup - what Pinky said. My last MINI was also a 2006 S and was a fabulous car...until she wasn't. BUT - I chalk that up to me and the fact that we put over 70k on her in 1.5 years. Commute, commute, commute. I would still have that car though if my kids hadn't outgrown it.

"Rosebud"
2013 Countryman ALL4
Soon to be Mods: Speakers (at some point)
Current Mods: JCW exhaust, stubby antenna, tint, badges and an amazing MINIAC behind the wheel!
Old 09-28-2013, 07:29 AM
SSMINI Member | Treasurer

Garage
Generally speaking, I think you'll find that any of the issues from earlier transmissions have already been repaired. I had a manual 2005 Cooper S, put 138K miles on it, before I had to trade in on the Countryman, like Sammylynn mentions. Never had any transmission issues, or really any issues that I didn't cause myself...

Good luck in your search. Come on back if you have any other questions, too.

2005 DS/B MCS Phydeaux <--> WA Plate - "2AAREQD" (gone)
2012 RG/B MCs Countryman All4 <--> WA Plate - "RLRCSTR" (gone)
2015 DB/B F56s <--> WA Plate "RLRCSTR"