Go Back   Salish Sea MINI Motoring Club > Shop Talk > Maintenance and Repair

Maintenance and Repair A place to discuss issues with maintenance and repairs for your Mini or MINI, or problems you might be experiencing.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:38 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
Coolant Change

I was told my coolant needs to be changed and I figured this is a good DYI project so I did some research. Well maybe I am reading to much into it or I am just looking at the wrong model. I have the R55 09 Clubman and what I saw online with instructions from Pelican was talking about a valve to open somewhere that would allow all the coolant to drain out. My Bentley book isn't to clear for me either.

From what I gather, I just take off a hose on the bottom of the radiator, open the cap and after it's all drained I refill the overflow tank, turn on the heater to get the pump to pull coolant into the engine and continue with refilling the tank until it doesn't drain anymore. There's also a step where you run the engine first for a minute and then until it warms up. Does this sound about right? Don't want' to pay for something that could be that simple if I don't have to.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:27 PM
SSMINI Member

Garage
I was just in that area and I spotted a reference in my Bently to a valve on the bottom of the radiator.

I know it takes several fills to get the radiator topped off by letting it warm up will all the stuff running (heater and I used lights to put engine under slight load) and get the thermostat to open. The surge tank will bubble and when you turn off the machine and let it cool LET IT COOL!! Remove the surge tank cap and add more fluid.. I did this 3 times and all I was doing was adding a temperature gauge.

Use vice grips to remove and replace the hose clamps. They worked fine for the installation of a Hotlink from Cravenspeed.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:58 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
Thanks SMOG all help is appreciated. I found this link and it kind of matches what Jay from NW Mini told me about the location of the bleeder valve, I just am not good enough with engines to find where it is. Once I find it, all will be good.

Anyone out there have a good description of where it is or photo they can send me?

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...R56+N12+Engine
Old 09-03-2014, 04:45 AM
SSMINI Member

Garage
You might want to purchase a real Bentley Manual since it is loaded with pictures of what you are going to encounter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2505.jpg   IMG_2504.jpg   IMG_2501.jpg   IMG_2497.jpg