Go Back   Salish Sea MINI Motoring Club > Shop Talk > Maintenance and Repair

Maintenance and Repair A place to discuss issues with maintenance and repairs for your Mini or MINI, or problems you might be experiencing.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
Shake under acceleration above 60mph

Hi Everyone,

I have been experiencing shake in the front of the car and my seat, above 65 mph. Its more pronounced under hard acceleration. I have replaced everything that the dealer and others have recommended.

Heres the list:

Both drive Axeles (Les Schwab)
Front control arm and sway bar bushings
Wheels & Tires (including hub centric rings)
New tie rods and ball joints
All motor and transmission mounts
New Coilovers all round
Front wheel hubs
Clutch

So the drive-train is as tight as it can be. After all this I still have this annoying shake above 65mph. Its bad above 70mph. I even took it to Northwest MINI on Monday to get their professional opinion. They said everything looks tight. But may be my hub centric ring might not be the right one. I was told the ring fits hub and wheel fine as long as they are separate. But once the wheel is placed on the hub with the hub centric ring, there is too much play without the lugs. So I came home and and tested this myself, and I have to say there's no play that I can notice. I took it to Les Schwab and Discount tire (which the dealer recommended that I do to get the right rings) and they said the same thing.

So as one can imagine I'm feeling quite low right now. The only way I can test to see if this is a result of my wheel or rings is to try the stock wheels on. Which i dont have. If the shake is still there then it might be the axel (because after replacing the new axels, one did pop out the night it was installed, and the other one was just replaced because the bearing got shot. So the quality is questionable). My only other guess is that it might even be the rotors.

Is anyone here willing to help me out with this? I have this Sunday off. I work Tuesday thru Saturdays. Then going out of town next week and will be back on December 4th. I will really appreciate any help I can get with this.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:48 PM
SSMINI Member | Officer-at-Large

Garage
Have you had your alignment checked? That could cause the shake. MINI's need to be laser aligned, I know NW MINI can do it, and I heard that Firestone can too.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:17 PM
SSMINI Founder | President | Events Coordinator

Garage
I'm surprised that NW MINI didn't suggest an alignment. When my front end was damaged, the shop had the alignment done by Firestone, but it wasn't quite right and had it redone by NW MINI. No problems after that.

2004 CR/W MCS JCW (Chili-S)
2013 CR JCW Roadster (Rowan)
Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 AM
SSMINI Member | Treasurer

Garage
I second the motion to get the alignment checked. I'd definitely go that route. Second to that, if you have a 2nd Gen, we have stock wheels here that we can put on to test with. And if you have a 1st Gen, I believe I have a set up hub centric rings that I never used. That might be a bit more of a search than the wheels, but I have a good idea where they are.

2005 DS/B MCS Phydeaux <--> WA Plate - "2AAREQD" (gone)
2012 RG/B MCs Countryman All4 <--> WA Plate - "RLRCSTR" (gone)
2015 DB/B F56s <--> WA Plate "RLRCSTR"
Old 11-18-2012, 02:56 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
A laser alignment was done recently at Firestone. It looks good. So it again comes down to wheel, axle or rotors.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:00 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
It will be great to test out with someone and get a second opinion. I'm free tomorrow as well. Will be more than happy to come to you. If tomorrow wont work we can always try sometime after December 4th.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydeaux View Post
I second the motion to get the alignment checked. I'd definitely go that route. Second to that, if you have a 2nd Gen, we have stock wheels here that we can put on to test with. And if you have a 1st Gen, I believe I have a set up hub centric rings that I never used. That might be a bit more of a search than the wheels, but I have a good idea where they are.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:01 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
Did yours have vibrations as well when it was done by Firestone after the crash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili-S View Post
I'm surprised that NW MINI didn't suggest an alignment. When my front end was damaged, the shop had the alignment done by Firestone, but it wasn't quite right and had it redone by NW MINI. No problems after that.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:08 PM
SSMINI Founder | President | Events Coordinator

Garage
Slight, but noticeable. The folks at the body shop said that Firestone may not have had the correct settings.

2004 CR/W MCS JCW (Chili-S)
2013 CR JCW Roadster (Rowan)
Old 11-18-2012, 04:47 PM
SSMINI Member | Treasurer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sujeemini View Post
It will be great to test out with someone and get a second opinion. I'm free tomorrow as well. Will be more than happy to come to you. If tomorrow wont work we can always try sometime after December 4th.

Thanks!
Not going to work. I work in Bellevue, and Deanne works in Tukwila. Going to have to try sometime after the 4th, if you still have the problem. Since the alignment was checked, the only other thing that i can think of would be a wheel ever so slightly out of balance.

2005 DS/B MCS Phydeaux <--> WA Plate - "2AAREQD" (gone)
2012 RG/B MCs Countryman All4 <--> WA Plate - "RLRCSTR" (gone)
2015 DB/B F56s <--> WA Plate "RLRCSTR"
Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
Along with the alignment you might try thr dyna bead balancing. I have it on my Harley and can't say enough about how great it is. Basically they pour ceramic beads into your tires and centrifical force keeps them constantly balanced. No weights to be knocked of on a rough road I've never had a smoother ride. Soon the MINI will have them too. If you are a do it your selfer, you can do this your self. The tires no longer need to go on that spinning machine.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
Thanks to Mike, we were finally able to get to the bottom of it this weekend. He compared all the suspension components along with his car last weekend. He noticed some odd play in the drivers side axle. So we replaced it, and, Viola! The vibrations is gone Accelerating has never felt so good in past eight months. No more violent shakes. In the end, I now have a completely new suspension setup. Thank you so much for your help Mike!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:16 AM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
It was great to meet you at the Christmas party! I'm glad you and Mike got to the bottom of the shaking in your car. When it comes to MINIs, there's not too much Mike doesn't know.

2012 Boss 302
2012 Shelby GT500