Go Back   Salish Sea MINI Motoring Club > Shop Talk > Maintenance and Repair

Maintenance and Repair A place to discuss issues with maintenance and repairs for your Mini or MINI, or problems you might be experiencing.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:37 PM
SSMINI Member | Officer-at-Large

Garage
Dip...stick

I was checking Pinky's oil today and the dipstick snapped. Reading through the forums it seems like it is a common thing with the R53. Is it okay to drive with half a dipstick? (The oil level was good)

Looking at my options, I think the CravenSpeed MINI Dipstick might be a good option. http://www.cravenspeed.com/mini-dipstick/ It looks like it is much better quality, and its not plastic...

Any words of wisdom?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:09 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
I think that the oil dip stick problem has been an issue for some time, yet the engineers at MINI have not corrected the problem. I have also looked at the Craven Speed dip stick looks like a better fix for the problem.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:43 PM
SSMINI Member | Vice President

Garage
I shouldn't hurt anything to run the car with half of a dipsick, but you should get another so you can keep an eye on the oil level again.

I've heard that the fragile dipstick is an issue only with first generation MINIs. And yes, I agree, the Craven Speed dipstick is a good solution to the plastic Gen 1 dipstick.

The generation two dipstick is steel and not likely to break.

Dave
Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 PM

Garage
Thank you! I did order the cravenspeed. I'm anxiously waiting its arrival.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:20 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Garage
I also purchased a dip stick replacement from Cravenspeed along with a Flex pod 'Fixie' for my Garmin GPS (already installed).
Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 AM
SSMINI Member

Hope it snapped after you pulled it out, as you don't want any "piece" left down in the oil pan.

Neil
Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 AM
SSMINI Member

Garage
The last trip to NW MINI the dipstick came back slightly bent. I have known about the dipstick issue and ALWAYS have been careful about removing it and replacing it. So when I checked the oil after the oil change service at NW MINI I pulled the stick and it was no longer straight but had some curves in it.

I have not told them about it yet but it is on a list of things to rail about...

Good luck getting the broken piece out of Pinky.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Garage
The piece was sticking out about .5 inch, so I was able to get it out. (Thankfully)

The cravenspeed dipstick is amazing. It slid in smoothly with no issues. If you are on the fence about picking one up, I highly recommend it. My OEM always gave me troubles, it was a battle to get the OEM in and out.

My OEM dipstick also came back from NW bent, so I was being really careful with it. I didn't bother bringing it up to them, because I already get enough grief for just trying to use my SSMINI discount.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:36 PM
SSMINI Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
The piece was sticking out about .5 inch, so I was able to get it out. (Thankfully)

The cravenspeed dipstick is amazing. It slid in smoothly with no issues. If you are on the fence about picking one up, I highly recommend it. My OEM always gave me troubles, it was a battle to get the OEM in and out.

My OEM dipstick also came back from NW bent, so I was being really careful with it. I didn't bother bringing it up to them, because I already get enough grief for just trying to use my SSMINI discount.
Boy were you lucky in getting that stick out!!

NW Mini strikes again... Another thing they do is lean on your driving lights and tweak the drivers side out of aim because that is the side the filter is on. A real PITA....
Old 05-09-2014, 08:22 AM
SSMINI Member

Garage
DIPSTICK-Cravenspeed?

So how are the Cravenspeed dipsticks doing? I checked out one at The Dragon. It had a metal ribbed area at the bottom and a long spring going from it to the handle on top.

Has this been successful??

I sure hate the OEM 2nd Gen dipstick. Not easy to read and if you are not careful it will bend/kink. So how is Cravenspeeds dipstick working out for all of you?
Old 05-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOG View Post
So how are the Cravenspeed dipsticks doing? I checked out one at The Dragon. It had a metal ribbed area at the bottom and a long spring going from it to the handle on top.

Has this been successful??

I sure hate the OEM 2nd Gen dipstick. Not easy to read and if you are not careful it will bend/kink. So how is Cravenspeeds dipstick working out for all of you?
I haven't had any issues with it. It holds the heat more than the OEM, but that's easily fixed by wearing gloves. It slides in and out like a dream; I dreaded fighting the OEM to get it in and out.

It's easy to read, and worry free. I highly recommend picking one up.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:15 PM
SSMINI Founder | President | Events Coordinator

Garage
My OEM started separating at the top and I ordered one after Lee mentioned how well he liked it. Interesting design using the flexible spring and very easy to read the oil level. Check the oil level when it's cold and you don't need gloves.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:53 AM
SSMINI Member

Garage
Thanks one and all for the feedback. I could see that it would be easy to remove/replace but was unsure about reading it.

Yes, cold is the best time to read it since it seems to take a while for all the oil to return to the pan.

The new MINI's have no dipstick so I guess that was BMW's solution to a problem they created.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:03 AM
SSMINI Founder | President | Events Coordinator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOG View Post
The new MINI's have no dipstick so I guess that was BMW's solution to a problem they created.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili-S View Post
My OEM started separating at the top and I ordered one after Lee mentioned how well he liked it. Interesting design using the flexible spring and very easy to read the oil level. Check the oil level when it's cold and you don't need gloves.
I'm not a logical thinker. I always forget about it by the time the engine cools off.