Go Back   Salish Sea MINI Motoring Club > Shop Talk > Maintenance and Repair

Maintenance and Repair A place to discuss issues with maintenance and repairs for your Mini or MINI, or problems you might be experiencing.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:01 PM
SSMINI Member

Garage
Unhappy Spark Plug Popped Out

I was about 4 blocks from home when I heard a bang and pop pop pop… went into limp mode and had all kinds of lights on the dash. Limped home and opened the hood and started looking around to find out what happened. I found the #1 spark plug sitting on top of the motor. Now I am a little sick after reading on NAM about spark plugs popping out. I guess I should have been checking them all along lesson learned.
I tried the spark plug thread chasers and it Looks like I will need a Heli-coil to get back on the road. I need to find a shop close to Maple Valley that can do the work I'm not sure I feel confident enough to drill tap and set on my own.
BE SURE TO CHECK PLUGS FROM TIME TO TIME.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:22 PM
SSMINI Member | Treasurer

Garage
That happened to me wen I was going off to get lunch a couple years ago. I thought I had lost my serpentine belt. I was just within the mileage limit to get towed to Zahntech, where they put in a steel sleeve.

2005 DS/B MCS Phydeaux <--> WA Plate - "2AAREQD" (gone)
2012 RG/B MCs Countryman All4 <--> WA Plate - "RLRCSTR" (gone)
2015 DB/B F56s <--> WA Plate "RLRCSTR"
Old 07-06-2012, 05:05 PM
SSMINI Member

Garage
I could not get my car towed to Zantech it was too far so yesterday had Slyder1 towed to South Lake European in Renton to have the Time-Sert put in. Not only did they get it done today it was under the quoted price by an hour. I am very happy with the service and work they did.
A week with out the Mini is too long I am really happy to have my car running and back home.

Don't forget to check you plugs at every oil change or this could happen to you.

Thank you South Lake.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:28 PM
SSMINI Founder

Good to hear that you have gotten your spark plug problem solved to your satisfaction. I have heard nothing but good things about South Lake European and your experience echos what I had heard before. I agree, any day without a MINI is one day to long. Motor on!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:54 PM
SSMINI Member

Garage
Fixed but not. I had the plug hole fixed but had to wait for spark plugs to be shipped. Got new plugs in and could not easily remove the fixed plug so rather than chance forcing it out I decided to leave it in place ( it runs for now ).
I guess I only option is to find a core and replace the current head. If its not one thing its another.

I found two heads so far both taken off for JCW upgrade one very limited miles $750, one 25K $550. Anyone have an opinion?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 AM
SSMINI Forum Member

That was a genuine issue with most of the drivers..But it really messes up all the parts under the hood...Sometime I get real frustrated with these stuff going around with me....