Go Back   Salish Sea MINI Motoring Club > Shop Talk > Maintenance and Repair

Maintenance and Repair A place to discuss issues with maintenance and repairs for your Mini or MINI, or problems you might be experiencing.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:16 AM
SSMINI Forum Member

Spark Plugs for 2007 S R56?

I have 74K on my 2007 S so I think it's time to replace it's spark plugs. I went to NW Mini and there plugs are priced at $28+tax each. Aprox $125 for a set of 4 total. Did not buy it... yet. Thought I would do research first.

Should I buy what the dealership is recommending? Should I buy elsewhere? What other brand and model plugs can be used as a substitute? Should I stick with the same brand?

Your words of wisdom is appreciated.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:19 AM
SSMINI Member

Garage
I have never needed plugs but I suspect some day I will. Here is where I would check first.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=tw72679

And also this place.
http://www.penskeparts.com/fiche.aspx?brand=mini

If anyone has other recommendations I sure would like to know. I currently am looking for OEM air filter replacements, the paper ones.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:04 AM
SSMINI Member | Treasurer

Garage
Looking over your garage, you've got a few mods listed that would also lead me to question the spark plug choice. Do you know what brand NW MINI was recommending? And since you have an RMW tune, does Jan offer any suggestions?

Previously, with my 2005 MCS and pulley swap, I went with Denso Iridium plugs, one heat range colder than stock. This was in part because of the heat build up due to the pulley swap itself. I picked them up at NAPA. Don't remember now how much they were, since that was around 2007.

2005 DS/B MCS Phydeaux <--> WA Plate - "2AAREQD" (gone)
2012 RG/B MCs Countryman All4 <--> WA Plate - "RLRCSTR" (gone)
2015 DB/B F56s <--> WA Plate "RLRCSTR"
Old 10-22-2014, 07:43 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Thanks for tip everyone but I already got it done. Here's how.

The original plugs that came off were NGK-R Iridium's. Priced by Mini at $28 a plug.After doing some Google & YouTube research.I replaced it with NGK-iR Laser Iridium's (Part# ILZKBR7A-8G 5992), which cost me $15 a plug from O'Reilly Auto Parts.An added bonus was good ol Charlie who works in O'Reilly gapped each plugs for me at .32 gap, and gave me a free packet of spark plug grease. Great service at O'Reilly's. I highly recommend them.

Then I went into YouTube and found a great do-it-yourself (DIY) clip at ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj-Qt7i9nak. Or search YouTube with "Changing spark plugs on 2007+ mini cooper S".The video clip is approximately 2 minutes and the verbal instructions were simple to understand.There are also few other DIY in YouTube but they tend to be too long, and given instructions and demonstrations were over-kill. Never the less they were all informative. But what I fail see in the video was using tread grease. I recommend wiping spark plug grease along the treads of the plug before installing the plugs. Greasing the treads will make it easier to remove the plugs when it's time to replace then again. Worse case scenario without grease, is that the plugs could permanently bond to the engine on worse conditions. To further clarify; Do not use ordinary grease. Use a recommended spark-plug-type grease.

I acquired the necessary tools before I started. Most importantly a 14mm-12point deep socket, and a magnetic tool (see video).Also recommend a torque wrench but not necessary if (big if) your careful enough.

Took my mini for a test drive. If I'm not mistaken it felt a little more responsive than before.

Time to complete: Less than 10 minutes.
Research time in the web: Approximately 45 minutes.

Last edited by bbm; 10-22-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:19 PM
SSMINI Founder

Garage
I'd spend the coin for a torque wrench. There's way you're going to guess the correct torque by "feel" and if they're too tight or too loose, the problem generated could cost a heck of a LOT more than the cost of a good torque wrench.

They're also handy for putting just the right amount of force into your wheel lug nuts and it's pretty easy to figure out what happens when they're a bit under-torqued.

Ben Franklin had an applicable phrase involving pennies and pounds...

The best way to travel between any two points lies along the twisty roads...

Old 10-23-2014, 05:30 PM
SSMINI Forum Member

Understood and agree. I cannot argue with Benís statement. Perhaps I should have taken the effort to pull out my Craftsman torque wrench do the job. I think I did okay without it though, but thatís just me. I take back my comment ďAlso recommend a torque wrench but not necessary if (big if) you are careful enough.Ē Thank you very much for that input John.

Anyway my main objective was just to share where I found a better deal on a spark plug. I hope this helps a fellow member.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 PM
SSMINI Member

Garage
Hey John, have you found torque wrenches in Vietnamese yet